Friday, December 31, 2004

Culture stuff

This has been the year when I got back into listening to music and reading books. Maybe that's why I've not been posting much, I've been spending my computer time reading. Anyway, here's a round-up:

I'm in the middle of reading The Africa House by Christina Lamb - at first I thought it'd be dry but I'm enjoying it very much. Before that it was Bret Easton Ellis's Glamorama. The first half is very tedious - centred around a very vacuous club-runner, name-dropping hundreds of celebridies. Then the whole plot changes half way through - I was gripped. Lots of sex'n'violence, if you like that kind of thing (although I must admit, I ended up feeling rather spooked by the book - finished it in the early hours of the morning when I was alone in the flat. yikes!) I'd still recommend it though. The book before that was Peyton Amberg which I found a bit confusing, but was OK - not as good as The Male Cross-Dresser Support Group though. I think, before that I was reading a terrible book on Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures and prior to that, after a good first chapter, I yawned my way through The Autograph Man. I think that was the beginning of my reading frenzy so I'll leave it there.

Musically, I refound my enthusiasm for guitar music, having lost it around the time of Blur v Oasis, Britpop tedium. So it's been a year of Franz Ferdinand, The Libertines, Keane, the new Morrissey one, Courtney Love (yeah, I know), Muse, ... you get the picture. Of course I still have time for the likes of Missy Elliott.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home