Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Pot plants, Tesco and Billy Bragg

I see The Guardian's already been out perusing in Columbia Road:

George Galloway was in pursuit of a man carrying a giant pot plant on his head yesterday. Wearing a red and green rosette and clutching a bunch of colourful papers promoting his new party, Respect, the former Labour MP was in search of votes at the Columbia Road flower market in London.

The day before, on Bethnal Green Road, in the heart of the East End, Oona King, the sitting Labour MP, was pressing flesh outside Tesco and being heckled by a young Muslim man for voting for the war in Iraq.


The whole article's here

Is Bethnal Green really one of the country's poorest constituencies (as the article states)? It seems to me that there's a big mix of people from Somali refugees to city workers in gated communities. And I thought Bow was a step up from that.

It's good that Sir William of Bragg has dusted down his guitar to play a benefit for Sade, er I mean Oona, but it's a long way from Red Wedge.

I'm with the 'local resident' who's quoted as saying:
"Oona is a Blair patsy and supports the war, but I don't trust George either; he comes across as a self-promoter and I am not sure he will support the local area. I have been thinking hard about it. But I still have to make up my mind."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home