Sunday, April 17, 2005

If it's Sunday... it must be Bethnal Green

I open the Sundays and what do I find? Article upon article about the vote in Bethnal Green.

The Sunday Times piece is rather amusing:

Respect is an unlikely name for Galloway’s old-left party. It ought to be called something like the International Coalition of United Amalgamated Electorates and Voters. Respect is just so slackjawed, so mumbled; it’s the Ali G-joke party. It is also, of course, what middle-aged white folk think black kids say
to each other all the time. I understand that it just beat Innit as the name for
the party. The war is Galloway’s single issue, and I try not to mention it.

...

Oona talks with that practised new Labour ladies’ patronage, like a playschool teacher explaining the nature table to refugee children. You can feel the waves of lukewarm boredom eddying across the room. It was like listening to Paul McKenna in drag: one minute my eyes were feeling heavy, then the next I’d woken up. It was half an hour later and she was raffling a sewing machine.


I'm getting a bit sick of all this E2 bashing though - last week we were the most deprived constituency in the country, now (perhaps not unsurprisingly given its recent bad press) no-one wants to live here:
I asked all the young Bengalis if they wanted to bring their children up in Bethnal Green. Every single one of them said no.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home